Consumer Spending by Product Groups quantifies the expenditures of consumers on certain groups of goods or services.
WHAT DOES CONSUMER SPENDING BY PRODUCT GROUPS MEAN?
Consumer Spending data by product groups quantifies the expenditures of European consumers on certain groups of products. The ratio between disposable income, demographics and expenditures for the products and services are derived from Household Budget surveys from the National Statistical Offices. By using such representative surveys and the regional and local statistics about income data and demographics, Consumer Spending data is calculated.
To determine market sizes, also household final consumption expenditure data by categories within the System of National Accounts is used. These data include estimates from the Statistical Offices for the ‘grey economy’. Consumer spending also includes estimates for consumption of own produced products and the purchase directly from the manufacturer.
The general Purchasing Power describes the disposable income of households and is the most commonly used indicator for a region’s potential. The Purchasing Power however is not necessarily the most appropriate planning indicator for all providers of goods and services, as for a lot of products the consumers’ spending behaviour does not exclusively relate to the disposable income. In order that you can improve your ability to respond to the specifics of your market, we enhanced our general Purchasing Power and calculated Consumer Spending for 20 product groups.
Consumer Spending data are available for the following product groups:
- Food and non-alcoholic beverages
- Alcoholic beverages
- Furniture and furnishings, carpets and other floor coverings
- Household textiles
- Household appliances
- Glassware, tableware and household utensils
- Tools and equipment for house and garden
- Routine household maintenance
- Medical products, appliances and equipment
- Consumer Electronics, photographic and IT equipment
- Durables for recreation and culture
- Toys and games, hobby, sport, garden, pets
- Recreational and cultural services
- Newspapers, books and stationery
- Catering Services
- Personal care
- Jewellery, clocks, watches and other personal effects
Further specifications and subdivisions are possible on request.
ADVANTAGES OF THE MB-INTERNATIONAL CONSUMER SPENDING
- Globally consistent and comparable
- Our data is subjected to a strict quality control and constantly updated by means of comprehensive research by our in-house statistical & geographical department
- The Consumer Spending allows companies to zero in on their regional markets with increased precision and accuracy
- Using our postcode, administrative boundary or small area maps for the geographic visualization of the Consumer Spending allows for an even more effective and efficient decision-making.
VAST VARIETY OF USES IN MANY DIFFERENT ASPECTS OF BUSINESS APPLICATIONS
By using MBI Consumer Spending Data companies from across all branches of trade are able to:
- Quantify regional sales opportunities / market potentials
- Evaluate areas for strengths and weaknesses
- Identify unused market potential
- Set realistic local economic forecasts
- Focus locally on marketing activities
- Formulate quantified and realistic objectives
- Restructure and optimize market and sales areas
- Map marketing campaigns
- Develop expansion strategies
VIEW THE MBI PRODUCT FLYER TO CONSUMER SPENDING
ON WHICH LEVEL IS THE DATA AVAILABLE?
POSTCODE (ZIP) LEVEL
Worldwide postal areas are geographic boundaries that define the geographic area for each postcode
ADMINISTRATIVE AREA LEVEL
Municipality boundaries plus the higher levels like provinces and state boundaries
SMALL AREA LEVELS (MICRO AREAS)
Could be subdivisions of the postcode or administrative boundaries like census areas
STANDARD DATA FORMATS
The data can be supplied in the following formats which allow easy loading to most database platforms:
- Tab delimited file (TXT)
- Access database (MDB)
- Excel (xls)
STANDARD GIS FORMATS FOR OUR VECTOR BOUNDARIES
For those using desktop GIS systems we can deliver as well the matching AREA BOUNDARIES.
- Esri Shape file (.shp)
- Esri Geodatabase (.gdb)
- MapInfo (.tab)
- MapInfo MIF/MID